Justin and I are fortunate enough to once again (ok, ok, still) be youth group sponsors at our church. We love the high schoolers in our church and can't seem to get enough of them. LOL. They call us, text us, stop over, and we love it. Leo thinks he is like the king of the world when we go to sporting events because everyone knows who he is and he knows them. Eli prefers to flirt with the girls, and give the boys the "look".
Anyway, back to the trip. First, a disclaimer. I have one, yes, one picture from this trip. I know people took pictures of me and Justin while we were there. I just never carried my camera with me...
This trip we left early on Friday night. And, what a difference 3 years and 2 nonsleeping children make. :) I had their things packed and ready to go on Wednesday night! (Just teasing boys; mommy loves you! But, really, I did...) We ate supper and took the boys to my parents house. I was a little apprehensive leaving and could feel the lump in my throat starting to form. Then Eli put a basket on his hand and acted like it was a purse and said, "Bye Mommy, Love you." I knew they'd be good to go.
We headed back home to pack and get ready to go. I went over to Sabrina's after I was ready to chat a little before we left. One thing led to another and we were nearly late for the bus. I was really bummed that I didn't have any gum for the trip, but figured I could bum some off of one of the kids. (This tidbit will prove to be important in a few sentences...)
As we were standing around waiting to load the buses, Sabrina came back to the church with my favorite kind of gum. Isn't she the best?!? I love that girl! We got on the buses and headed out. We all tried to sleep. Didn't prove to be too beneficial for those around me. :(
Somewhere in Nebraska, I think Freemont, we switched drivers. Oh sad day. :( We lost Randy and got Ronnie, or to what he will now be referred to as "Rumble Strips Ronnie". Get my point? I wondered if he'd blow a tire or two or ten and that's how we'd break down this time... We rumbled our way to Colorado. It was fun to be excited and see things this time. We went to a place to whitewater raft.
It was so awesome! Minus the freezing water. Minus the scary rapids. Minus the scary talk about if they holler things you have to do them so you don't die. Yeah, nice segway people... My raft was full of girls, and we, if I must say, rocked it! (Minus the back stroke...)
After rafting we called McDonald's and ordered 39 meals to go. Yeah, they weren't too fond of us! Made our way to the camp, and found out we'd be slumming again. Wait...no we were in the ghetto. :)
I'm not going to give a play by play like last trip, mostly because I don't have pictures and don't want to bore you. :) But will give a few high lights:
~Commitment night was AWESOME!!! We had 1 commit for the first time and about 12 more recommit. It was so emotional and amazing!
~Connected with a lot of different kids on the trip, and even was invited for a "swimsuit" sleep over. :)
~Learned a few new lessons : Leave misery (all the bad things that feel comfortable in your life) for mystery (all the amazing things God has planned for you, if you'll let Him in). The quote, "I don't know where I'm going, but I know who I'm following." And the last one, is for you Hunter...In the Bible there is a verse about wives submitting to their husbands, and husbands love their wives like Christ loves the church. Well the key speaker was telling us about it, and said, girls, when a guy says you must submit, you should say (in a very loud and scary voice...) "You must DiE!" (because Christ laid down His life for the church, so your husband should lay down his life for you.) Hunter has given Cheryl and me a headache about that passage for all 4 years of his RCYF experience, and it was fun to see him when the speaker said that. :)
And now...for the one and only picture...
We were lucky enough to see Ben Glenn again. He is an amazing speaker and even more amazing artist. He draws with chalk on sheets from K-Mart. :)
This picture is his drawing of the parable of the lost sheep. In the parable Jesus is telling about how the Shepard has lost just 1 sheep, but leaves the other 99 and goes out looking for the 1. He looks into the night and finally finds the sheep. When he comes back, he rejoices for the 1 he found. Ben said something that was so meaningful to me. "God is pursuing you like that lost sheep. He has been from the day you were born and will be until he finds you searching for you." Wow...I sat in my seat and was just so touched and moved. I (of course) started crying and thinking. Who are the people that I need to tell this message to? Who in my life needs to know that God is still searching for them? No matter what you have done, He still WANTS you, still LOVES you, and He DIED for you.
What a great God we serve.
"Let love explode and bring the dead to life...My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside roaring like a lion."
"You are my reward, all I'm living for
I surrender all my life to you
All consuming Fire, you are my desire
No one else but you, I surrender all my life to you
All to you, my Jesus"
"Oh my God,
He will not delay.
My refuge and strength always.
I will not fear,
His promise is true,
My God will come through ALWAYS"
~~PS...if you were at RMH and have pictures, email them to me, please :)
No comments:
Post a Comment